Now this is a seriously irritating thing, but it could become a deadly thing, as a fellow member of the SSCA pointed out to me later. If water can get inside the boat, so can propane! This must be FIXED!
Butyl Tape and placed an order. I figured this was a good opportunity to see just how easy it is to seal these holes. Bruce got everything disconnected and I went to work cleaning the areas around the holes so that I could apply sealant to the unused ones. My original thought was that the holes we used to mount the gauges were the culprits. Once everything was out, I discovered four other unused holes situated lower than those. I applied a quick cure polyether multi-purpose calk to all of the holes except for the four mounting holes we are using.
article that showed the way to use Butyl tape so I was READY! I had a bit of help in applying the tape to the four new screws (found amongst the pounds and pounds of spares that came with the boat).
|Notice the box of spare screws|
Well, that isn't exactly true. This job led us to investigate the locker on the opposite side of the boat for holes. We found no holes, but it was full of scuzz which now had to be cleaned out. Tack on another hour and a half... But, now we are all clean and safe from death by propane asphyxiation. And we have that warm fuzzy feeling you get when a job is ticked off the list! Now, on to the next one...
Post a Comment