|Cleaning the hull|
We arrived there mid-day on Saturday feeling disorganized and scattered. Bruce and I bounced from one job to another. Each time we began work on a particular project, we found that we either had unanswered questions or lacked some vital tool or supply to do the job. I became very discouraged… neither of us felt very good and the job seemed to grow before our eyes.
|Two hours work with a Scotch Bright pad|
I worked for a while on removing the scum left on the bottom where the straps had been but it seemed as if I was going nowhere fast. The good news was that our bottom was in pretty good shape. No blisters at all, just a few spots that had no paint that needed to be fared and filled.
|Tiny Sander would take DAYS!|
The truth of the matter is that we don't have the appropriate tools to do this job in a reasonable amount of time. Something has gotta change… We packed it in early and returned home thinking we would attack it again in the morning…
Things weren't going any better on Sunday. There were some questions about doing the bottom and the gel coat that we needed answered. Bruce and I had a moment of truth. We were going to have to not only consult the experts, but enlist their help if we were ever going to get this boat back into the water.
|Ricky my new BFF|
Ricky to the rescue! He wheeled his cart over while we stowed away our supplies amidst promises of having the bottom sanded within the hour. A miracle! We walked around the boat with Rick showing him the problem spots. He waved them away saying he would take care of all of them.
|Look at the white strip under the red|
He brought out a bottle of Aluminum Bright and gave me a little taste of what this magic elixir could do to the ICW beard. I was blown away! We have spent countless hours and dollars on stuff to try to get the brown shadow off our hull. This stuff made it a memory nearly instantly!
We left the boat congratulating ourselves on our sound decision to let the experts do this job before it got really ugly!
|Filled and Fared|
I got a call from Bruce on Monday which relieved me of my fears. Rick was worth every cent we paid him and more.
|Gouges repaired and waiting to be sanded|
Not only had he done everything promised, but everything Bruce started working on, Rick swooped in with either advice, help, tools or just took over and did the job himself. This guy is unbelievable.
Bruce was considering replacing a stainless steel through-hull... but decided to leave it. He was also pleased to find that the cutlass bearing didn't need replacing. It was done at the last haul out prior to the boat going up for sale. He figured with as many miles as they put on the engine in bringing her to Texas from Rhode Island, it would need to be replaced. But it's in good shape so we're going to pass.
He had trouble with the zinc anode on the Max Prop and had to order one online.. It won't be here until Tuesday. He is also having issues getting the right grease for the Max Prop. He has that worked out now...
One thing that DID go right: The pads got moved so that he could apply a first coat of paint to the missed spots. We should have the final gallon of paint by Saturday so that we can get the bottom paint finished.
Now I have been having nightmares about the keel. Bruce said he usually ends up scraping barnacles off the keel since there are thin spots where it rests upon the blocks and can't be painted. The keel gets painted quickly when the boat is in the sling before it goes into the water but the paint wears off quickly. All of our previous boats have had fin keels... Dos Libras has a broad flat wing keel with lots of real estate on the bottom.
|I think we missed a shell. I painted over it!|
I was done when I ran out of primer and it was none too soon. I was covered in dirt and could hardly see from the grit in my eyes. This wind has gotta GO!
|It was cold - no fashion related|
He came over and advised us. It turned out that we already had some of the stuff he recommended. He even lent us his variable speed buffer (ours was single speed). He showed us how he does it and pretty much redid that 1/3 of the boat we botched. Then he turned us loose on our own again, happy once more.
Home we went again to work on the yard sale... Back to the boatyard on Friday morning fearing that even hoping to get the boat into the water would mess things up. Not to worry... We were pleased with the repair on the hull, the boat was lowered into the water, the through hulls and stuffing box checked for leaks... All good! We paid our yard bill (much lower than we thought it would be) and motored out into the ICW.