|Susi and Henk from Windhover|
After listening to the forecast this morning, our procrastination came to an end but it looked like tomorrow would be less windy for making the ten mile dinghy trip.
|Goodbye marina and protected waters...|
|Rounding Punta Arenas|
|Our turn to lead... we've got the iPad with the chart!|
|The entrance. Turn to port just past those markers...|
|Not my best side...|
We bought our little hand held depth sounder in 2011 and it's still working like a charm. It only reads when you're going kind of slowly, but that's our only complaint.
|Our track into and out of Los Jobos|
We tested near the banks and up into a sort of cove... It shallowed up there fast!
The open bay to the left of our track is where we will probably find our spot. Of course we will talk to the locals when the time comes... but it is my understanding that we will park our nose up into the mangroves and tie on. (That way our rudder doesn't get bounced on the bottom, risking damage.) Then we will put out two/three anchors spreading out from the stern. There should be plenty of room for lots of boats up in the estuaries.
The plan was to continue on around the bay and into the next one but Bruce was too worried about our fuel consumption.
|The green track was just over 10 miles.|
And we used a LOT less fuel... so we didn't need to do all of that worrying about running dry... BUT... we had only about two tablespoons (slight exaggeration... but not really) of fuel left in the tank... so there's that.
So. Now we have a visual and feel a lot better about going into Los Jobos if this storm comes our way. Hopefully we won't have to initiate our storm plan..because it's a LOT of work... But we are doing some of the little things so that we will be ready.